The position entitled “Environmental Time Series Analysis – Extreme Values” took place within an inter-Carnot institute project between the two institutions, IFREMER and BRGM. She spent the first 10 months at the LCSM/RDT group at IFREMER-Brest under the supervision of Marc Prevosto and Christophe Maisondieu The last 8 months she was at the group of coastal risks at BRGM-Orléans working with Thomas Bulteau and François Paris.
The aim of the position was in a first step to gather all the information, recommendations, software tools and different techniques for the estimation of extremes from long term time series and its application to environmental analysis. In a second step, these methods were applied in two different case studies, one proposed by IFREMER and based on a theoretical application of offshore structures design and the second one proposed by BRGM with a focus on a practical application to flood risk in coastal areas.
As a result of the bibliographic work developed during these months arose the idea of creating a practical document to gather this information. This handbook (‘Introduction to Extreme Value Analysis of Environmental Variables’) compiles practical concepts and some helpful guidelines to designers, practitioners, researchers and in general to anyone with no deep knowledge of extreme value analysis.
Apart from that handbook, the results obtained from the cases studies applied have been presented in international conferences (see the references below) as well as in internal seminars in both research institutions (at IFREMER-Brest the 12 June 2015 and at BRGM-Orléans the 15 June 2015). These results have led also to publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- GUANCHE Yanira, Prevosto MArc, Bulteau Thomas, Maisondieu Christophe and PAris François, 2015. "Introduction to Extreme Value Analysis of Environmental Variables"
- GUANCHE Yanira, Prevosto MArc, Bulteau Thomas, Maisondieu Christophe and PAris François, 2015. "MASTENV - Méthodes d'analyse des Séries temporelles Environnementales – Evènements extrêmes".
Presentations and proceedings
- GUANCHE Yanira, Bulteau Thomas, Paris François, Prevosto MArc and Maisondieu Christophe, 2015. "Estimación de la cota centenal de inundación en la zona de Hyéres", XIII Jornadas Españolas de Costas y Puertos, 24-25 June 2015, Avilés, Spain.
- PREVOSTO Marc, Bulteau Thomas, Guanche Yanira and Paris François. "Environmental Contours for a Conditional Multivariate Extreme Model", II International Short Conference on Advances in Extreme Value Analysis and Application to Natural Hazards, EVAN15, 16-18 September, Santander, Spain.
- GUANCHE Yanira, Paris François, Bulteau Thomas, Prevosto Marc and Maisondieu Christophe, 2015. "On the estimation of centennial flooding levels", II International Short Conference on Advances in Extreme Value Analysis and Application to Natural Hazards, EVAN15, 16-18 September, Santander, Spain.