Avail yourself of the department’s services to help you make a success of your research projects.
The institute can provide:
- Access to facilities belonging to the French oceanographic fleet. Facilities cover the entire range of exploratory tools: geophysical tools (bathymetry, sonar, seismic), underwater testing (6000-m submersible, 3000-m AUV, 6000-m ROV, in situ video cameras), short-term and long-term ocean-bottom monitoring stations (geotechnical modules, penetrometers, ecological modules) and sampling facilities (core drills, skips, etc.).
- Original tools developed by the structure including the ocean-bottom seismometer (source Chirp 650-2000 Hz and 200-1000 Hz), data acquisition systems for use on the ocean bottom: piezometers for measuring static liquid pressure in sediments, video cameras, in situ analysers; fleet of ocean-bottom seismometers (OBS), observation nodes for monitoring slope stability and their acoustic communication system.
- Results of oceanographic campaigns conducted by members of the structure, providing geophysical and geotechnical data on a variety of geographical areas, stored in an electronic database. Rock and sediment core samples are stored and controlled in the structure’s rock library. Samples of extreme environment bacteria are stored in a microbiological culture collection.
- Analytical instruments required for this research: scanning microprobes and microscopes, spectrometers (masse, Raman, etc.), chromatographs, core testing rigs, triaxial cells for the rheological study of technical sampling sediments and cultures.
- On-land testing facilities designed for the conduct of research programmes on the static, dynamic and long-term behaviour of materials and structures in marine environments. These facilities, some of which are unique in Europe, consist of testing tanks, hyperbaric testing chambers, a laboratory dedicated to the study of material behaviour and ageing, and a calibration laboratory for COFRAC-accredited oceanographic instruments. Owing to their unique characteristics and to the fact that they exist nowhere else in Europe, these testing facilities are considered as a research infrastructure that is available for use by European research institutes and European small and medium-sized businesses, enabling them to conduct their research programmes with support from the scientific and technical environment of the respective structure.
The Insitut Carnot is also well equipped to expand its national and international reach through the reputation of its Label, guaranteeing that its quality of research complies with the highest standards of collaborative research.
Download the following information sheets (in French):