The history of Ifremer has two branches, one linked with marine fisheries, the other started by Général de Gaulle after he came to power in 1958.
The first generation of researchers in the field of marine fisheries dates from the Service technique des pêches maritimes – Technical service for marine fisheries; the origin of which can be traced back to 1861. This service is first mentioned in a text from 17 May 1887. Then, on 13 November 1899, the consultative committee on marine fisheries discussed the organisation of a service for scientific studies and technical research centred on marine fisheries.
The creation of the Scientific Office for Marine Fisheries was decided by President Raymond Poincaré by the finance act of 31 December 1918. This fisheries office took the name Institut Scientifique et Technique des Pêches Maritimes - Scientific and technical institute for marine fisheries - on 14 October 1953.
In parallel, the Comité d'Exploitation des Océans Committee for Exploitation of the Oceans COMEXO, initiated by Général de Gaulle, was created and functioned from 1961. The CNEXO (Centre National pour l'Exploitation des Océans), created by the law 67-7 of 3 January 1967, then replaced the COMEXO. Finally, Ifremer was created on 5 June 1984 by the amalgamation of CNEXO and ISTPM.
Tel: +33 (0)2 98 22 48 54 / Fax: +33 (0)2 98 22 44 55