Geomatics applications service
Key words: GIS, geomatics, data, marine habitats, mapping, remote sensing, ICZM, interactive map
The Geomatics Applications service conducts the following actions:
- It coordinates the REBENT Bretagne benthic monitoring network. To this end, it produces intertidal habitat maps, ensures that monitoring actions taken concerning the benthos on the Brittany seafront are consistent, and prepares, summarizes and disseminates the information produced. The service manages the REBENT website, particularly the interactive cartographic mapping module.
- It takes part in collecting and formating historical data on benthic habitats for all of France's coasts; contributes to harmonizing typologies and is participating, within the framework of the DG/MARE EuSeaMap project project, in creating a transnational homogenous EUNIS habitat map.
- It draws up new procedures and drafts technical recommendations. More specifically, through the MESH project, the service has contributed to the « Guide to marine habitat mapping » and to developing predictive mapping of habitats. It also is in charge of producing specifications for Natura 2000 mapping.
- It supports the DIREN state environmental authority for Brittany, the Marine protected areas agency and the ministry of ecology and sustainable planning and development (MEEDAT) in its Natura 2000 and OSPAR actions.
- It supports GIS applications within IFREMER by developing special software modules, transfering them and providing assistance for users, particularly in the coastal laboratories (LER), and leads the geomatics watch action (software, products and data) called ValorIG.